Sunday, February 10, 2013

When Will Norwood Increase Transparency?

Increased Transparency In State Government

I don’t think I’m the only one who is tired of things getting sucked into the “black hole” of government. For example, at the federal level, Obamacare passed before Americans knew what was in it. Legislators weren’t able to gain feedback from their constituents to ensure they were representing them properly. We need a change in the way government is run. I cannot control the federal government, but I can influence government locally in Ohio and with my fellow House Republicans, we intend to start this new legislative cycle much differently than has been done in the past.


Under the leadership of House Speaker Bill Batchelder, the governmental process will be more transparent for Ohioans interested in impacting what we do at the Statehouse. Beginning this year, Ohioans will have the ability to watch hearings taking place in the Finance Committee, which I have been appointed to serve.


From your home, office, or mobile device, tune into OhioChannel.org or OhioHouse.gov to watch exactly what I am doing during committee. You can even e-mail or call my office during committee and give your opinion on a particular bill or subject. Never before have we had the ability for real-time communication on the business of the House Finance Committee and I am excited to be able to share this news with the 83rd House District.


The commitment to transparency the House Republicans have made for this General Assembly is unparalleled by previous general assemblies or the federal government and broadcasting committee hearings in real-time is the first step to meeting that goal. Another vital component of holding state legislators accountable is the ability to connect with constituents, an area House Republicans will not shy away from in the upcoming months. To understand the concerns and priorities of the 83rd House District, I will release a new online survey every few months. The first survey will gauge opinions on the economy and job creation in Northwest Ohio and is now available online.


I would appreciate constituents’ feedback on how I legislate within our district. Please call or visit me in the Columbus office, set up a meeting in the district, find me on the social media website, Facebook, or attend a town hall meeting. Civic organizations, church groups, school groups, or families and friends can also plan a day of tours and meetings with me in Columbus.


I am grateful to be part of the Ohio House of Representatives and look forward to serve you again. Reform is on the horizon; the operating budget, school funding and tax deductions are all issues House Republicans will be tackling. We have the ability to lead the way in government transparency, and I hope this gives constituents the tools needed to make their voices heard in the governmental process.

1 comment: