Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Grappling with Gas Prices

If you had told me a year ago that gas would be $4.00 dollars a gallon.  I would have looked at you suspicious.  If  I see you today I would say you are like a Ms./Mr.  Cleo.  You looked into your crystal ball and got it right.  The national average cost for a gallon of gas is $4.00.  I think this is a  sign of the times. 

I'm glad I had the privilege of driving when gas was .79 cents a gallon.  Remember those days.  A person could fill their tank for $10.00 or $15.00.  Times were good back then.  Global warming was not a issue.  The weather was great for driving.  Driving laws were unheard of.  No seat belt laws, no limit on passengers, no check points.  Now, driving a car is like giving up all your constitutal rights.  You agree to be stopped and searched at anytime.You have to have your seat belt on.  You have to have your headlights on when its drizzling.  In the city of Cincinnati if you have over size rims you can have your car stopped and towed.  Not to mention the hefty price you will pay to get it back.  Yes, driving is getting expensive.  So to sock us with the high gas prices is making driving a headache. 

I find myself seeking other means of transportation.  Public bus service is one option I have used lately.  Taxis' and cabs are at our disposable.  I will ride my bike as the weather gets warmer.  I will walk to stores.  I will try to make only one driving trip per day.  I will car share whenever possible.  I will not pick up my kid from school as much, she will have to walk.  Yes, these gas prices has put a serious dent in how I roll.  What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment