Monday, August 29, 2011

Norwood Crossing Guards Got Double Crossed

Did you have a favorite Norwood crossing guard?  Did you always notice them being there?  I did.  Our crossing guards did us proud.  I have never heard of one kid getting hit with them on the job.  Not to mention they provided safety for adults.  Now they are being double crossed...............First by the City of Norwood, Ohio.  Then by the Norwood School Board. 

The city had the responsibility of the crossing guards for years, I know at least 15.  In this latest round of budget cuts the city decided to do away with them altogether.  The city made it clear, we can not afford to pay crossing guards any longer.  Period point blank.  No maybes, no we will look at our budgets, no we will find the money to keep them.  THEY ARE GONE! 

Personally, I miss them.  I miss Norma.  I miss the little man that is the same height as the children he is crossing.  I miss the mother of four children who was working that part-time job with pride.  The job of a crossing guard is hard.  You may get the bird flipped to you on a daily bases.  You may get hit by a person not watching what he/she is doing?  You might encounter a speeder who may keep going.  This is one job I simply could not do.  I admire anyone willing to do it. 

One thing is for sure, they are not doing it for the pay.  It pays little and  requires you to come to your job twice a day(most people clock in once). Crossing guards endure all kinds of weather.  Rain, hell, sleet, and snow to name a few.  You have to endure freezing cold weather.  When the heat reaches 90 degrees, there is no air conditioner available. Yes, crossing guards have a thank less job. 

Why do crossing guards do it?  If someone out there wants to answer that question, my faithful readers would love to hear from you. 

The Norwood School Board passed a levy  in May 2011.  You would think crossing guards would get the money needed to work. Not a chance.  I never believed for one second this money was for the children. How can you say you are for the children them put their parents out of work?  We voted in a Levy and the Norwood School Board cut jobs.  How can you be for the children but will not pick up the tab to keep them safe?  This  present school board knew the City of Norwood was in financial trouble and the crossing guards was on the chopping block.  Where was the leadership of someone on the board to speak up and demand a vote to use the levy money for crossing guards?  Since they campaigned on, "It's for the children".  I never believed it for one moment.  That is one reason I voted against this levy.  It really was never about the children.  If so would that not have been one of your first priorities?   

Yes, they were double crossed by both the City of Norwood and the Norwood School Board.  I miss them.  So do the children who cross these dangerous streets on a daily bases.  Let's all hope the Norwood Schools get enough volunteers to cover these corners.  Our crossing guards were the best, I just hate they got double crossed.

That is one reason I'm asking for your vote to take a seat on the Norwood School Board.  I will bring up issues that matter to you.  I will not go along with the Superintendent just to get along with the Superintendent,   I will stand up and speak out for our children.  I'm asking for your vote on Nov. 8th.

3 comments:

  1. you will never get enough votes to get in. why don't you go up there and help the kids cross those roads? i have a full time job or I would be up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The schools ain't got the money either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what would consider a solution to this situation, Yvonne?

    ReplyDelete